The Duality of Dolorin Opera: From Musical to Kinetic
People often ask how I manage the shift between the first and second acts of Dolorin. It’s a drastic change, I know. You go from the structured, narrative-heavy world of a classic musical to the raw, pulsating environment of dark techno.
But it wasn't a choice; it was a necessity of the script.
Act I: The Musical Narrative
The first act is rooted in traditional musical theatre. My focus here was on vocal clarity and orchestral arrangement. I spent weeks layering the strings, trying to capture that early 20th-century aesthetic without making it sound like a "period piece." It’s polished, it’s dramatic, and the melodic lines are front and center. I was obsessing over the dynamics—making sure the piano parts didn't get buried under the brass. It was all about building a world that felt stable, even as the character of Dolorin starts to fracture.
Act II: The Deconstruction
Then, the shift. By the second act, the stability is gone. The orchestration literally breaks down. That’s where the techno influence kicks in. I didn't want to just "mix" styles; I wanted the sound design to feel like it’s failing, like the memories themselves are being corrupted by modern machinery. I’m stripping away the melodic comfort and leaving the listener with nothing but the rhythm and the grit.
Some might think it’s a jarring jump. For me, it’s the only way to portray how a person’s reality disintegrates when they’re forced into exile.
If Act I is the memory of home, Act II is the sound of the world ending.

Comments
Post a Comment